Sunday, July 26, 2009

No miracles for you


Martin Luther Chapel
Pennsauken, NJ
July 1, 2007



My method of choosing churches by lottery (picking one of the strips of paper from my original ten choices) was disrupted again this morning. I needed to attend an early service on this Sunday, because I planned to drive to the airport later that morning, so I decided to find a church with an 8:00 service. I wanted to try a Lutheran church of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS) flavor, having already attended a Lutheran church in the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA).

The LCMS website is fantastic. It has a directory where you can search for churches throughout the country by city, state, district, or zip code. I chose New Jersey, and was then directed to a list, which gave me information about locations, whether or not a church has an associated school, and if the church has its own website.

Pennsauken was the location closest to me. Unfortunately, the LCMS church in that city has no website. [UPDATED: when I checked again, in 2009, I did find a website. Either it's new, or I missed it when I looked in 2007.] When I clicked on the church name in the denominational website, though, I was provided with lots of information, including the number of baptized members (471), confirmed members (374), the enrollment figures for the school, times for worship services (two on Sunday mornings, one on Wednesday evening), times for Sunday School and Bible classes, and weekly worship attendance (255). You can also use this website to find out lots of information about the pastor of each congregation - where they went to school, what they majored in, and how long they have been pastoring, for example.

There’s more. There’s a button labeled “Statistics,” which brings up an Excel spreadsheet with very detailed information for the years 1997 through 2006 in more than 25 categories, such as how many people joined through profession of faith (that means they are not transferring from some other church), how many transferred from another Lutheran church, how many from a non-Lutheran church, how many died, average attendance for each year (not too bad, considering overall church attendance trends in the U.S. – the numbers have risen from 219 to 255 in that 10-year span), and annual giving per confirmed member (also an upward trend -- $1079 to $2666).

This is just a sample of the kind of information you can find for each LCMS church. They also have graphs of trends. The LCMS website is a sociologist’s dream -- perhaps an example of German precision?

At any rate, I had the little bit of information I needed right now (address and church service times). I printed out driving directions from Google, and was ready to hurry on out to the 8:00 service.

The Google directions do indeed take you to the church. Unfortunately, they take you to the side of the church on which you cannot park, and since the church fronts a busy four-lane highway, I have to drive away from the building in order to circle back and try again. I don’t drive far enough on my second loop, and am again unable to find the parking lot. Eventually I find on-street parking a couple blocks away and walk around the side of the church. [UPDATED: again, if driving directions were available in 2007, I missed them. They are on the congregation's website now.]
I still don’t see a front door, but people seem to be entering via a plain brown door with the number twelve on it, so I go in that way, too. I have been really surprised at how often I've entered churches via side doors during this project.

An usher hands me a bulletin. It is only a few minutes past eight, and the preservice music is still playing. (I have missed the announcements, though.) I find a seat in a rear pew and check the bulletin. The pastor is away, serving as pastor-in-residence at a church camp, and a DELTO candidate, Jeremy Shears, will be preaching today. I figure a DELTO candidate is probably a seminarian. (The next day I Google DELTO and learn that it stands for Distance Education Leading to Ordination, and is designed to provide “contextual theological education leading to ordination for men who provide pastoral service to congregations, mission churches, or in situations where a full-time pastor or missionary cannot be supported.” Men in DELTO programs must be at least 30 years of age, and must be paired with a pastor-mentor while they complete the program.)

The other interesting thing in the bulletin is that, in addition to a pastor, the church has an Asian Indian Evangelist. I’m not sure what that means. I don’t see any Asian Indians in the congregation this morning (or else I don’t recognize them), although there are 2-3 African-American worshippers and 2-3 Asian worshippers in the mostly white congregation. It’s an interesting idea, though, and I wish I had followed up on it after the service by asking someone about it. There is also a bulletin insert inviting people to join a short-term mission trip to India or Sri Lanka, so maybe this church has some kind of burden for evangelizing Asian Indians.

One of the inserts is an impressively ambitious daily prayer guide for the week. It includes instructions for prayer and Bible readings for both morning and evening, with twice-daily psalms, brief or extended readings, an exhortation to discuss or meditate on the readings, a prayer for the week to use during each session, additional prayers (remember the sick, shut-ins, mourners, those with personal sadness, your own needs; our country and the nations; peace, the Church’s mission); an excellent, thoughtful Prayer for Our Nation, and concluding prayers. The morning prayer for this week is a selection from the poems of Christina Rossetti (it includes the heartfelt line, “Oh, find a place for me!”). If the members of this church follow this weekly prayer system with any kind of regularity, they are doing well indeed.

The building is modern brick. There is a central altar (composed of an interesting mottled wood or marble or something – I am too far away to tell), with pulpit and lectern on either side. The back wall is stone, in the center of which is a large gold cross. On either side of the cross are statues of Christ, crucified on the left and triumphant on the right. The sanctuary seats about 250-300, and there are about 85 or so people present for this early service.

During the Greeting of Peace, I shake hands with several people. A woman sitting in front of me hands me a page from the attendance register and asks me to sign in. The first reading is from I Kings. Elijah hears the voice of God not in a mighty wind or in an earthquake, or in a fire, but in a “low whisper” – the ESV translation of the much more famous “still, small voice.”

Next, a children’s sermon. Four kids come up front, and a lady asks them to copy her motions. Then she does some quick stepping back and forth, and of course the kids can’t follow her. She asks them why they failed, and they are completely silent, so she begins answering her own questions (as I’ve noted before, a common enough occurrence in children’s sermons). She tells them that they probably have lots of excuses for their failure to follow her steps precisely, just like we have lots of excuses for our failures to follow Jesus. Nevertheless, we should try to walk in His steps and not make excuses, and He will help us. She gives them each a paper footprint with a Scripture verse written on it, to put up in their rooms at home to help them remember to ask Jesus for help.

The sermon is titled “The Quiet Gospel.” Mr. Shears, wearing a plain white chasuble, begins by saying how much we all like big, showy things. We’d love to see God do some great miracles. But even if God did perform a huge outright miracle, it wouldn’t strengthen our faith (I think he might be wrong on this point, but it could certainly be argued). So, even though the age of miracles has passed, that’s not a bad thing.

How do we strengthen our faith? Through the Word and the sacraments. He holds up before us as examples St Augustine and Martin Luther, God’s gifts to the Church, who were strengthened through the Word and the sacraments. He observes that as Christians we can become the still, small voice of God to the noisy world; we can perform the ministry of bringing God to others by the example of our quietly godly lives. (This point in his sermon has a lot in common with the brief homily I heard at Our Lady of the Snows earlier in the week.) Though spectacular signs of God’s power are coming eventually (at the Second Coming and the Day of Judgment), right now all we need to do is keep close to the Word and the sacraments. The sermon is 17 minutes long, and is delivered in a clear, strong voice.

However, as the sermon proceeds I am becoming slightly depressed, thinking that there will be no more miracles. This is odd, considering that I haven’t been hoping for any miracles, and would likely be frightened out of my wits if I were to see one. Even so, to be told so firmly not to expect a miracle proves to be a bit of downer. Perhaps it’s like being told that you can’t have any ice cream. Before hearing this, you didn’t even want ice cream. Now it’s all you can think about. Suddenly I feel like a cranky child, whining about why I can’t have a miracle, too, just like my older brothers and sisters had.

We recite the Apostles’ Creed, and then two men and two women take the offering and collect the attendance registers. More prayers, a blessing, and the closing hymn, “Joyful, Joyful.” I think Lutherans usually have the Lord’s Supper at every service, but they probably can’t do that today because the pastor is out of town.

The lady who had given me the attendance register invites me to join the Bible study after this service, but I can’t go because I have to get home right after the service. This is the first time during my church visiting project that someone has invited me to stay for a group activity after the service (although the Bible Presbyterians invited me to come back again that evening), and I would have said yes on any other day. I stand around in the front lobby for a few minutes, and ask someone for directions to the washroom, but no one else talks to me. Everyone is heading toward either the parking lot or the Bible study. On my way out, I have a chance to see the real entrance to the church. It’s very nice.

A little more research after the visit. The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS) has about 2.4 million baptized members in the US, about half of them located in the upper Midwestern states. It has an interesting history as another of the country’s immigrant churches. In 1838 a German Lutheran pastor, Martin Stephan, led 1100 Lutherans from Saxony to the United States, seeking to practice their religion freely. They were seeking freedom from oppression from other Lutherans, actually – they didn’t like living under state-sponsored Lutheranism in Prussia.

More than 300 of these pilgrims died on the voyage, when one of their ships was lost at sea. The remaining 750 or so settled in Missouri, around St. Louis. Stephan became embroiled in charges of corruption and sexual misconduct, so he was kicked out and C.F.W. Walther became the leader of the group.

The Missouri group had a lively debate as to whether or not they were still part of the German Lutheran church, and eventually decided that they constituted a new one. So, in 1847, a group met in Chicago, founded a new church body, and made a magnificent contribution to the tradition of clunky denominational names: The German Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio and Other States.

The group grew quickly over the next fifty years, largely because they worked hard to assist and incorporate the flood of German immigrants who poured into the US during the second half of the 1800s.

The second and third generations of churchgoers were often bilingual or even English-only speakers, in contrast to the first generation of German speakers. However, churches tend to be conservative, and services were usually conducted in German for a long time. (My father’s Lutheran birth certificate and confirmation certificate were printed in Michigan, but are written completely in German - he was born in 1896.) (I know that makes me sound incredibly ancient, but you have to take into account that he was 57 when I was born. Still, it does seem incredible that my father was born in the nineteenth century and my granddaughter may very well live into the twenty-second century. It makes me feel as though I could stretch out my arms and span four centuries, metaphorically speaking.)

The first World War brought strong anti-German sentiment to the US, which revolutionized the LCMS, at least in terms of language. Everything was “Americanized,” and membership doubled over the second fifty years. In 1947 they also shortened their name to the current version, LCMS.

One interesting fact about LCMS is that the denomination is officially creationist – all LCMS schools, kindergarten through university and seminary, are required to “teach creation from a Biblical perspective,” which for them means a non-Darwinian perspective. I was unaware of this; I had somehow assumed creationism came only from nondenominational, Baptist, or fundamentalist Presbyterian perspectives. Never put any Lutherans in amongst that group, but I see now that I wasn’t paying attention.

LCMS women wear the invisible hajib; that is, they are in submission to male authority in the church and home, and cannot hold any pastoral office. In fact, they weren’t allowed to vote in church meetings until 1969.

I once read an interesting point of view on the issue of letting women vote in congregational meetings. I don’t remember which denomination does this, but the policy is to let unmarried women, but not wives, vote in congregational meetings. (Men can vote regardless of marital status.) The reasoning is that giving married women a vote would be, in effect, giving all married men two votes – because of course a married woman would just ask her husband how to vote on any issue, and do whatever he said.

I didn’t receive any mail or calls from this church after the visit, but I always take into consideration the fact that my handwriting may have something to do with that. It can be difficult to get all the address information legibly into the small spaces allotted for them in Visitor’s Logs. And, anyway, I’m truly conflicted about whether or not it’s desirable to pursue visitors with phone calls and letters. It might be good in some cases, but in others it might be just as well to let the people who are interested in coming to your church pursue you.

No comments:

Post a Comment