Thursday, December 31, 2009

Is yoga a religion?


An interesting legal debate, posted at The Immanent Frame. It arose from a recent legal case in Missouri, in which yoga centers objected to being subject to taxes, on the grounds that they are entitled to religious status.

As the four commenters point out, separating the religions from non-religions can be surprisingly tricky. Isaac Weiner also makes the point that ". . . offering tax exemptions for religious institutions or organizations inevitably entangles government and religion, rather than separating them."

Photo courtesy Flickruser lululemon

1 comment:

  1. Our Lutheran pastor gave me quite a questioning when I told him I go to the YMCA for their yoga classes. I had to convince him that I wasn't being led into the "Namaste" light, just simply going to get my stretch on!!

    ReplyDelete