Saturday, January 29, 2011

Old bowl

This bowl has been in almost daily use for at least 55+ years. Here it is in 1953 or 1954:

That is me in the top of the cupboard, my brother Norbert standing (just barely), and our neighbors Kathy and Barbie. The bowl is on the floor behind us. I used that bowl almost every day in high school, when I came home and made myself a big salad. (I never ate lunch in the cafeteria, mostly due to shyness. Lunch was the most terrifying period of the day in high school.)

Here is the bowl today, still in almost daily use:


2 comments:

  1. Where did you go during lunch? I hated it, too, and always sat alone. Very traumatic. If I had known there was an alternative I would have signed up. Oh, and we have an "old bowl" in our family. My mother once threw it at a brother's head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the cafeteria terrified me. I bought a carton of chocolate milk every day, drank it standing up, and then went somewhere - the bathroom, the library . . . I don't even remember where I went. I must have blocked the whole thing out of my memory. The good old days . . . .

    ReplyDelete