Thursday, December 1, 2011

The dinosaur meets the dragon

Yesterday the sky was cloudy and portentous as I walked to the train station after work. It darkened amazingly quickly. When I stepped out onto the street on 38th Street, it was cloudy but light.


Just a few blocks later, darker. The banner in the photo below reads "The Dinosaur Meets the Dragon" - a reference to a collaboration between the Franklin Institute and Drexel University.


The golden sculpture in front of the Monell Center broods as people hurry by, on their way to catch trains, buses, trolleys, and subway cars.




By the time I arrived in Willow Grove, of course, it was quite dark. Usually Tim picks me up at the station, but last night he couldn't, so I walked home. It was a nice evening for a walk, and I especially liked the way this little paving company looked in the dark.




All that mysterious equipment, evidence of hard physical work. I'm glad we have roads and driveways, and I'm also glad that I don't have to repair them.

And those trucks!

Serious trucks for serious work. It may not be apparent from the photo, but these trucks are enormous - anyone except a giant would have to step up - way up - to get into the cabs. The grill of the truck in back is taller than I am.

This worksite is almost invisible during the day, easily overlooked - but at night, with just one light illuminating the stuff, it is somehow more noticeable, and much more scary.

Though really, it's just an ordinary walk home - takes about 40 minutes, and most of it is just plain old suburbia. The paving company makes a nice contrast.

And back to the comforts of home.



No comments:

Post a Comment