Sunday, June 17, 2012

A week in June of 2012

A summary of the recent week, in no particular order:

I bought a bike.

I contracted a horrible case of contact dermatitis.

I planted tomatoes and flowers and herbs.

Old friends stopped by on their travels between Florida and Vermont, and were able to spend the night - a fantastic evening!

I walked and walked with good old Mr. Bean. We worked on Drop It, Fetch, and Instant Come Here in class on Saturday.

My son Chris spent a night, on his way to Bulgaria and Greece for a couple of weeks.

I finished grading JUST about everything for the online class - grade are due to be turned in Tuesday night. A week off, and then begins a quarter in which I will teach TWO sections online. I like this.

I had dinner with Jay and Janet in Philadelphia, and we saw Kinky Friedman smoking a big cigar outside World Cafe Live, where he and his band were scheduled to play that night.

And a few photos related to the above statements, and to other things:


My new bike, Woody, in the butterfly garden at the park. It's a no-gears, no-hand-brakes, reconditioned bike that we bought used for $95, and it is just my style! This is the kind of bike I rode all through grade school and high school. Here's another shot, showing off the handsome wicker basket:


I had a tuna sandwich at Tria Wine Room with Jay and Janet. Didn't stop to think about taking a photo until I had taken bites of the sandwich, and had emptied my first glass of wine, so this is not a very good shot - but I did suddenly realize that it was such a lovely evening for dining outdoors, and I wanted to take some sort of photo.


The front garden. Still lots to be done, but it's coming along.







Cinnamon basil:



The hydrangea by the side of the house, where I pruned and weeded this weekend and last:


See that innocent-looking little vine sneaking up the side of the house in the back of the photo above?

It's not innocent. It's evil.


This photo was taken on the sixth day of a 12-day course of prednisone, so it doesn't look as bad as it did six days ago. Suffice it to say that my hands and face looked as though someone had thrown acid on them. On the task list for next weekend:



The artist-decorated pianos on the streets of Philadelphia were still being played by various folks, one of whom was kind enough to allow me to snap a photo on Friday morning, as I walked to work from the train station:


Did I mention that the weather has been stunningly gorgeous? The entire week was cool and comfortable at night, and pleasantly warm (but not too hot) during the day.

And so I arrive at this quiet point on Sunday evening - whew. The weeks they fly by.

No comments:

Post a Comment