Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Greek islands

I seem to have taken a 3-week vacation from blogging, but it's over now. I'm not exactly sure why I stopped for a while, but I have an inkling.

I was sulking.

You see, just about three weeks ago I flew to San Diego (for work), and had a great time and took fabulous photos. Photos of a lagoon walk, and vases of real orchids everywhere at the resort, and seals sunning themselves on the rocks at La Jolla Cove, and unbelievably beautiful views of the Rocky Mountains from an airplane window, and . . . I left the camera on the plane.

It was my fault. I can't blame anyone else.

But every time I thought about blogging I thought about losing that camera and I got mad all over again.

Also, spending a few weeks without a camera made me feel sort of . . . blind.

It's hard to describe, but I felt as though I couldn't see things as well, since there was no chance of looking at them through the camera viewfinder.

I made some beautiful dishes over the last three weeks, including a fabulous homemade tomato soup and a chilled raspberry-jalapeno soup.

You'll have to take my word for it, though, about how lovely they looked.

At any rate, this afternoon we ordered a new camera, which should be here soon. Just a Kodak EasyShare, only sixty bucks - I've had one in the past, and I know they take fine photos for my amateur, nonprofessional purposes.

I feel so good, knowing that the camera is on its way!

In the meantime, I do have photos from someone else's vacation - my son Chris was in Bulgaria and Greece last month. During one week of that time he sailed around the Greek islands with friends.


I am so very glad that he had this opportunity - what a vacation to remember the rest of your life! And when I looked through his photos (there are more than 300), you know what else I really liked? He took pictures of things like the sidewalk scene above. He notices the same kinds of details I like to notice.

Thank goodness he didn't lose his camera.



1 comment:

  1. Funny how looking for photos throughout the day defines the way you look.
    Way back, when cameras malfunctioned and photo cards got corrupted now and then, I would sometimes 'lose' a day's worth of shots. But I was always glad that I had at least paused to look at something carefully, with a picture in mind. That was almost as important as having the photo to remember it. Almost.

    ReplyDelete