Sunday, November 4, 2012

Luck and hurricanes

Finally posting post-hurricane. On Monday, the first day of the big storm, my workplace was closed but I was able to work from home. However, around 10:00 pm that evening, the lights went out. We listened to the wind huffing and puffing for a while, and then went to bed.

Woke up on Tuesday and walked Bean around the block.

Someone had lost a car.

 
And another family had suffered an even greater loss.
 
 
But people were safe, which is the most important thing. Power was still out everywhere, so we decided to drive up to my daughter's place; she still had power, and the grandkids were home because schools were closed. We took Bern and Anthony out to lunch.
 
 


Bern and I decorated our nails for Halloween.
 
And after dinner, we drove back home. Still no power, but my sons and I were able to play table games by candelight and flashlight.
 
All in all, a very easy time for us - unlike folks in New York and New Jersey, and a couple of blocks east and north of us, who lost a lot. I am grateful. 
 


2 comments:

  1. Petri dishes and wine part of the game? I repeat, you, my friend, has one of the best life. Good nail polish choice also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those petri dishes are a cute touch, aren't they? Each one holds a different color of "infection," and the goal of the game is for all players to work together to eradicate diseases. And it's not wine, it's whiskey! We were very, very lucky during this storm. I have friends who lost entire houses.

    ReplyDelete