Saturday, May 23, 2009

A glass of wine to dull the pain


"Simon Doonan, the style director for Barneys, wrote an article on how to wear high heels. He suggested a glass of wine to dull the pain and practicing a few days before the event."

From the comments to a post on The Thoughtful Dresser. I love high heels, but have been unable to wear them with any comfort for several years now. It's mildly comforting to know that even fashionable women suffer in high heels.
Not that I'm wishing them pain, you know. Hey, I would love to be able to do everything I could do when I was in my twenties again, like wearing high heels. I didn't take advantage at the time, thinking that those abilities would never disappear. In fact, I didn't even think of them as abilities. I just took it all for granted. Sigh.
Well, actually, in my twenties I wore mostly sandals and sneakers. I wore heels in my thirties and forties. But the point is, I thought I would be able to wear them forever - that the only impediment to wearing whatever shoes I liked would be money, not actual physical pain. Is there anything in your life that you are just now finding out that you have been heedlessly taking for granted? Something you didn't even notice until it was gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment