Thursday, June 18, 2009

Next up in the church visiting series

Happy birthday, church
I visit St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church in Cherry Hill, NJ, where I hear the gospel proclaimed in sixteen different languages simultaneously (this is Pentecost Sunday), and eat toad-in-the-hole.

Wait a minute, preacher
I visit the First Baptist Church of Haddonfield in Haddonfield, NJ, where I witness a black visiting preacher try to get a white congregation to participate in the call-and-response tradition.

He knows us by name
I attend Ascension Lutheran Church in Haddon Heights, NJ, where I cannot find the entrance to the parking lot, and unintentionally bring the communion service to a temporary halt.

Five pounds of bread, Lord?
I start this Sunday by attending the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Cherry Hill, NJ, but because they do not post meeting times on their website, I arrive halfway through the service. After attending half a Mormon service I drive to the nearest church and discover Community Gospel Chapel of Voorhees, NJ, where a small group of very friendly Christians meet to worship in the style of the Plymouth Brethren. They send me home with five pounds of bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment