Sunday, January 10, 2010

Those Winter Sundays






Sundays too my father got up early
and put his clothes on in the blueblack cold;
then with cracked hands that ached
from labor in the weekday weather made
banked fires blaze. No one ever thanked him.

I’d wake and hear the cold splintering, breaking.
When the rooms were warm, he’d call,
and slowly I would rise and dress,
fearing the chronic angers of that house,

Speaking indifferently to him,
who had driven out the cold
and polished my good shoes as well.
What did I know, what did I know
of love’s austere and lonely offices?


                                                            Robert Hayden

Surely one of the most touching and astute poems ever written about a difficult family situation. The last two lines are perfection itself.

Photo courtesy Flickruser Michael Hodge

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. It's a beaut. And also one of my favourite poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Rethabile. You have some very interesting websites. I knew nothing about Lesotho before looking at them, and now I know a very tiny bit about the country. I will read more.

    ReplyDelete