Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A toast to work and to routine


The lovely mug pictured above has put me into the mood to Get to Work most every weekday for the past ten years or so. I bought it at a little shop in the Galleria on Market Street, Philadelphia, when I began work in the field of medical publishing in 1999, and the mug accompanied me when I switched to a job in the field of educational assessment. I realized about a year ago that this is one of the material objects with which I have most contact year in and year out. Years of pleasant associations have conditioned me to feel ready for a good day’s work every time I pick up this mug (it is quite hefty, which I think adds to its semi-magical powers) and take the first sip of the warm, dark, energizing beverage inside – usually double-strength hazelnut coffee that I have ground that morning. I love this mug.

Starting a new year after a long vacation (I was off 12 days in a row this holiday season) has made me think a little about routine and the cessation of routine. We all love breaks in our routines, such as holidays, but they are made possible only by the establishment first of a good solid routine. Routine and Cessation of Routine are the yin and yang of a pleasant life, each necessary to the other. How wonderful it is to have a holiday! And how wonderful to be able to go back to work! (Especially in this era of job uncertainty, layoffs, and economic worries.)

So I lift my morning mug to toast 2010, and also to toast Work and Routine – sometimes underappreciated, but really very wonderful things in themselves. And, if I can toast my mug by raising my mug, I’d like to do that as well. Here’s to you, Work Mug!

No comments:

Post a Comment