Thursday, September 20, 2012

I do not heart melancholy

Weather so beautiful you just can't stay in the office all day, no matter how much work is piling up.

So I walked down the street, and noticed that a new exhibition had opened at the Institute of Contemporary Art, where admission is free. Who could resist?

It was a Jeremy Deller installation. I had never heard of him (don't know much about art in general).

You can read more about him in Wikipedia.

The first room was a funny concept - as a teen, he used to hold clandestine "art shows" in his house when his parents were out, and the room was supposed to represent his bedroom from those years, with a sample of his early work. Apparently he divides his work into periods, depending on whether he was inspired by Keith Moon, David Bowie, or Neil Young.

I have to say I'm not a huge fan, based on this one view. But it was interesting. And who am I to complain about a free art show?



By the way, this show is an opportunity for hungry unemployed people to get a free lunch. All you have to do is agree to spend a few hours every so often as a living part of the I Heart Melancholy part of the installation. It's a black couch in front of a black wall, and the volunteer just has to sit, lie down, or nap on the couch while visitors walk by and stare. The guy today was lying down with his back to us, apparently sound asleep. Even from the back though, he did look depressed.



The other installation, Valerie's Snack Bar, features a real person sitting behind the counter of the snack bar. The woman who was volunteering as the living part of this installation was reading. I'd rather be part of Valerie's Snack Bar than I Heart Melancholy.

Visitors are not allowed to take any photos inside the rooms of the exhibit, or I would have more interesting photos.

Back at the office, I noticed that the fountain in the garden looked great in the autumn sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment