Thursday, June 23, 2011

Vacation, day two

I am going to catch up on these posts, mostly because I want to use this blog as a vacation journal as well as all the other uses. At times like this I am almost resentful of the fact that blogging was not available twenty or thirty or forty years ago, because it would (perhaps) be so much fun to look back on the thoughts and pictures posted then. Of course, nothing was preventing me from simply keeping a journal or scrapbook or photo diary over those decades - but I didn't, although at times I tried. Blogging is the one such activity that I seem to be able to keep up, at least so far.

By the way, that reminds me - one of my resolutions at the beginning of 2011 was to post daily. At first this seemed sort of terrifying, because very often I didn't have much to say. But then it became a painless habit, and then a kind of pleasure. My run of daily posts was broken in May, when Blogger went down for about a day. Then broken again on vacation, when I didn't have Internet access for a few days. So I will try to double-post until I am caught up again, and have at least 365 posts for the year.

But, to get back on topic - on day two of this vacation we took a tram to the top of Cannon Mountain and then walked up the rim trail and climbed to the top of the observatory. It was a beautiful, clear day. In the photo below, you can see Echo Lake to the left.


In the photo below, a pair of fellow walkers enjoy the view from the rim trail.

 Here I am on the observatory platform. I love how the mountain ridges in the distance look like waves of the sea, caught and frozen in time. In a way I suppose that's how they were formed.

Next we visited Flume Gorge, where the park service has very kindly built a series of clever wooden walkways and bridges to make it easy to see this beautiful area up close.



Many of the trees seem to have taken root right on top of the glacial boulders.


Others seem to be standing on tiptoe, perhaps because the soil has eroded from under their roots.

 Loving this stuff. Beautiful New Hampshire!

No comments:

Post a Comment