Monday, June 13, 2011

You call that a song?

Woke early this morning to a strong smell of skunk and birds screeching like crazy. On the other hand, it was nice and cool.

Bird song has never seemed especially lovely to me.  I don't seem to have whatever the necessary gift is for appreciating it. Always sounds to me, as others have pointed out, like what it is - an animal screaming COME HERE AND MATE WITH ME. NOW.

Except when it means I'M GOING TO PECK YOUR EYES OUT IF YOU ENTER MY TERRITORY.

The only time I ever really liked bird sounds was when we lived in rural New Jersey and had an owl living outside our bedroom window. The nocturnal hooing was rather nice.

I do like birds - they look great. But apparently I've never heard this bird "song" that other people like so much.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely concur. The only time bird song was ever magical was back at 314 when a mourning dove had a nest in the white pine next door. In my cigarette days perfection meant smoking on the front porch and just listening. Now it is crazy ass robins from four to six every morning. Then the guy revs up his truck and the birds scatter. Years ago I read that the only song from a red wing black bird is LOOK HOW HIGH UP I AM!! Bragging still isn't singing. I also lack the gift.

    ReplyDelete