Saturday, August 6, 2011

Food for all palates

We have a tomato thief:

A groundhog, also known as a woodchuck, also known as a land beaver (I learned that last one from Wikipedia). I captured a shot of him enjoying a yellow tomato in our back yard this morning.

He doesn't seem to be able to reach very high, though. If I stake the tomatoes well, he may not be able to get very many. And I don't see any tunnels or burrows in the lawn, so I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a big problem. I empathize with his effort to enjoy the summer's bounty. Very much like me.

Visited a Korean grocery today. Interesting to see what kinds of things are considered edible, even delicacies, in other cultures.


Silkworm pupa? Really? They have lots, so it must be popular. And probably, if I had grown up in Korea, I would enjoy them too.

We tried something new tonight: cherry soup.



Bring cherries, tart cherry juice, a little sugar, a cinnamon stick, and a little port wine to a boil. Simmer 15 minutes. Blend. Add a little cornstarch, and cool 3 hours. Serve with a few chopped cherries.

Yum. Summertime, and the eating is easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment