Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Smooth, spirited, and lively

Another beautiful fall day in the neighborhood, and someone at work was doing something to fix my computer, so it seemed like a good day for a long lunchtime walk.

I had time to admire the destruction going on at Drexel University, where something is being demolished to make way for something new.


The Cira Center and 30th Street Station always look pretty darn good on a sunny day.

Philadelphia's newest park is scheduled to open soon, along one side of the station. It will be all sidewalks and planters and seating under umbrellas. Seems like a good idea.


The preposterously tough-looking stone eagles stand watch at the corners of the bridge over the Schuykill River.


And the quiet water flows under our feet.


Light off a shiny neighboring building throws wavy reflections on a skyscraper.


I reach my destination - Trader Joe's, where the bathroom is decorated with mosaic bits.


And brightened with fresh flowers!


I make sure to stop by the sample station, where a nice lady gives me a paper cup with three teensy spoonfuls of butternut squash risotto - yum. And I purchase a tasty coffee (spiced with red and green peppercorns, cloves, and cinnamon - yes, I like flavored coffees.)

On the way back, I see the students of the Culinary Arts Institute taking their noon smoke break. One seems to have a souvenir from his Halloween costume. (I'm just guessing; he might have green hair all the time. But I always notice lots more colorful hair on the students on the street right after Halloween.)


And I admire the fabric samples at Marketplace Design Center.


And back to work, where I learn that I'll be upgraded to a newer, faster computer tomorrow.

Getting out and about in the middle of the day is energizing. Down with the old, up with the new - celebrate flowers and coffee and free samples, and admire young people learning old skills and having fun with new hair colors. And so back to work, refreshed.

No comments:

Post a Comment