Thursday, April 21, 2011

We have a new roof!

And we really needed it. When the roofers took off the old shingles (two layers), they found lots of wood that needed to be replaced, and two cracked rafters to be fixed.

The crew of 5-6 men worked 12 hours today, and the job isn't quite finished yet. I am always so impressed with hard-working people. The roofers were a terrific bunch. Here you can see the machine that lifted big flats of shingles up onto the roof, as well as a bit of the streaks of mold on the old shingles.


Here is part of the old roof, now consigned to a dumpster:


I don't have any pictures of the new roof yet, as it was dark by the time the men left. I'm looking forward to seeing it tomorrow morning.

This may sound odd, but things like buying a new roof (technically, borrowing to buy a new roof) make me feel like such a grown-up.

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling! I catch myself in these adult worlds and think -- wow, that's me, being a grown up now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Six men working throughout 12 hours could've finished the job earlier. Hmm, were you satisfied of the outcome? The first photo looks like everything went fine in the first place. Didn't it hurt when you saw the part of your old roof that was consigned to a dumpster? Well, the new one must've made you forget about it.

    Adam Waterford

    ReplyDelete