Friday, May 27, 2011

June is almost here

Almost June - and we will be on vacation at the end of June. I'm glad I scheduled this months ago, because thinking about it coming up has been half the fun. Love having stuff to look forward to.

And I LOVE vacations, probably because we didn't travel much for the longest time. When I was a kid our summer vacations were to the farm in Michigan, which I loved, but it wasn't really travel, in a sense, because we were always with family, always in the same place.

After I was married and had kids, our vacations were driving up to northern Illinois to visit our parents. Cheap and pleasant - but, again, not a vacation in some sense, because we weren't seeing anything new.

Not until we were in our thirties did we take vacations in the sense of visiting a new place. We went to England and Scotland. We took the kids camping in Colorado and Utah. We camped in Canada. And boy, did I feel grown up when we finally flew somewhere, rented a car, and drove around on a real vacation!

It helped that Neil's parents sometimes invited us along with them. The picture above is from a trip to Boston with them in 1985. This is Tim, looking at Boston Harbor, on a boat, on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment