Sunday, January 8, 2012

Good morning starshine; the earth says hello

Said goodbye to grandson this morning, and then off to Philadelphia to see Hair, the musical.

I did not see it during its original run - I was in high school, and not the type of kid who ran off to the big city to see live musicals. I saw the movie, I think, but have no memory of it. So all I remembered was the memorable songs.

I did not remember that is is essentially a tragedy, ending in the death of young man in Vietnam.

And then everyone gets up on stage and sings "Let the Sun Shine," and is happy again.

It was more than a little disconcerting, overall. Here are some of the stage lights (we were up in the nosebleed section, where we had a great view of the lighting system).


Here is the cast on stage at the end, with audience members joining them for the final song.



We intended to drive home right after the show, but it turned out that our car was blocked in by lots of other cars in the lot we had chosen, so we decided to walk down Broad Street, since we had to wait anyway.

Then we walked by Perch Pub, which I remembered as a great place to eat, and we decided to check it out.

I had a Belgian beer, Delirium Nocturnum.



Neil had the Mantua Martini.


Turns out it actually does seem to be the best damn martini ever. He ordered another. I tasted. We now love Right Gin. It also turns out we can't buy it, although it can be ordered for an exorbitant price via the Internet. Hmmmm. We may need to visit Perch Pub again.

We also tried an order of chickpea fries, which are a bargain at $4.00.



Chickpea fries are much yummier than potato fries.

We will be at the Academy of Music again, two weeks from now (we have a season subscription). I think we also now have, informally, a subscription to a season of martinis and chickpea fries at Perch Pub. All - the music, the drink, the food - highly recommended for anyone lucky enough to live in this area.



No comments:

Post a Comment