Sunday, January 1, 2012

Welcome, 2012

Might as well welcome the new year - it's here to stay no matter how we feel about it.

But I feel pretty good about it.

The nice thing about a blog is that I can easily look back to see what I was thinking this time last year.

I actually made resolutions on January 1, 2011 - four of them. And I didn't keep any of them, but I made varying degrees of progress, so that's not bad. In fact, I'm going to make the same four this year, and perhaps I'll completely succeed with one or more.

One resolution was to post every day on this blog. I was successful until the day in May that Google had some sort of crisis or breakdown or whatever. After that was resolved I kept posting daily until our vacation in New Hampshire, when I was unable to post for a day or two. And then at some point later in the year the resolution just fell apart, and I went days without posting.

Overall I judge the success of that particular resolution as pretty darn good. 279 posts in one year comes out to 76% - a solid C grade. I'll try to do better in 2012; not just to keep the resolution but because I found regular posting to be a good personal discipline.

Speaking of resolutions, I like Gretchen Rubin's six questions for making a good resolution. (Looking at question number 3, I'm a "yes resolver.")

We had a quiet New Year's eve - as usual, I was sound asleep before midnight. For an account of a truly splendid celebration, you can't do better than Nina's night in Spain.



No comments:

Post a Comment