Sunday, September 4, 2011

Labor Day Eve

Today is the eve of a holiday celebrating the role of labor unions. I believe that unions have had a great role (and, unfortunately, a terrible role) in our history.

But I have never been a member of a union. Increasingly, very few people are.

So I have not much to say about organized labor.

About the topic of labor in general, though, especially the labor of homemakers and housekeepers (non-union) I have some experience.

Today, I cleaned the refrigerator. Thoroughly. It's a job that people (almost always female people) do all the time, mostly unnoticed.

The need for cleaning the refrigerator was great at this time, because a glass container had exploded inside the fridge. (Note: it was not filled with hot food. I have no idea why it exploded.) A good reason to clean.

I cleaned with a vengeance. And with a steam cleaner.


The process looks like this:



That is, it looks like lots of white and steam.

And I ended up with this:


Surprisingly enjoyable, in spite of the fact that it won't last.

Then I had a cup of lemongrass and spearmint tea with honey, in a mug I bought at a drug store in San Francisco a few years ago. While in the city, I visited a friend I had not seen in more than 30 years.


All in all, very satisfying. Cleaning, relaxing, remembering.

Looking forward to the holiday tomorrow, even though I am not a member of a union.


No comments:

Post a Comment