Friday, March 2, 2012

Big tree, a bit less big

I've written before about the big tree at the front of our driveway, my nemesis. This tree loses lots of branches in every storm, sometimes big ones that block the road. So far no person or vehicle has suffered damage from this tree, but it is a headache.

So yesterday a man knocked on the front door and introduced himself and said that he represented a tree service in the neighborhood offering low rates on tree trimming and removal.

I said I'd be interested in an estimate.

About an hour later someone else knocked on the door. He said it would cost $3500 to remove the tree, which he described as "a monster." That was actually a good price, since I've had earlier estimates as high as $6,000.

However, no can do. But I bargained for the removal of the lowest branches, and we struck a deal.

Within an hour two big trucks showed up, and three men began removing branches, using one of those cherry picker things that lift a man high up into the air with a chain saw, near power lines. Scary.


They worked until after dark.



I am still amazed that I have the power to get people to do stuff like this, just by offering money.

So, the big tree is still there, but the big lower branches are gone. We'll see if this helps with all the branches coming down onto the lawn and into the road. I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment