Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Herbes de Provence


I do clear out my spice collection. I really do. And yet they multiply, seemingly on their own.

I discovered herbes de Provence recently, and fell in love with this combination of flavors. Started using it on all kinds of things. Spicing your food up with lavender - imagine that! So I was rather disappointed to discover that it's not some great old traditional French spice combination, but an American invention from the seventies

Still, tastes great. Just not nearly so romantic a backstory as I had imagined.


2 comments:

  1. Well yes and no: even though it is commercially sold as a set of herbs, I think it is the French who decided to sell it in this way. But that's not unusual: what I love about herb sellers there is that they often sell combinations of spices, mixed for you: for grilling, for omelets, for fish, for salads. And though Herbes de Provence will always contain the sacred trilogy, oftentimes something unique will be added, leading you to develop a love for that particular vendor's packet. So that's romantic, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is romantic. I will have to look for herb sellers with unique combinations at farmers' markets and at Reading Terminal Market, in downtown Philly. And how lovely that someone who has actually purchased herbs in France read my post - the magic of the Internet!

    ReplyDelete