Sunday, July 10, 2011

A little dab'll do ya

I was reminded again this morning, in the shower, of how amazingly little shampoo is needed to work up a nice lather.


Just a dab. OK, you might want to double that to half a teaspoon, but you don't need much. I tend to use more unless I consciously make an effort, just because a big amount glops out of the bottle so easily. I was astounded the first time I used a tiny little dab of shampoo and discovered that it is, indeed, quite adequate for the job.

Which reminds me that I have cut WAY back on laundry detergent since reading this article in the New York Times, about how almost everyone uses too much detergent in washing machines and dishwashers.
An excerpt:

The No. 1 sin, according to repair people and appliance experts, seems to be adding too much soap to washing machines or dishwashers.

“Nobody thinks they use too much soap,” said Vernon Schmidt, who has been a repairman for almost 35 years and is the author of a self-published book, “Appliance Handbook for Women: Simple Enough Even a Man Can Understand.” But apparently most of us are in denial.

Washing machines and dishwashers are made to use far less water now than older models and, therefore, need less soap. And detergents have also become increasingly concentrated. So a little goes a long way.

“Most people use 10 to 15 times the amount of soap they need, and they’re pouring money down the drain,” Mr. Schmidt said.

One-eighth to one-half of the recommended amount is usually adequate, according to the article.

It's been adequate for me.

I'm not going to save lots of money by using so much less shampoo and detergent, but every little bit helps, and I suppose using less is better for the environment, too.
I understand completely, though, if anyone afflicted with something as horrible as Smelly Hair Syndrome might want to use lots of shampoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment